I’ve really only just begun, but I already feel so much lighter by moving out some of the stuff we don’t need or use. I’ve sold stuff (our inflatable kayak), donated, and given some stuff to others. Our 1000sq ft apartment was starting to feel real cramped. I still feel like we have a lot of clutter and stuff everywhere, but it’s a process, and I’m embracing it! Here’s what I’ve learned so far:
- It’s amazing all the stuff we’ve lived with, that we don’t use or need. Last weekend I dropped off 5 boxes and 1 bag of items we didn’t need. That is a lot of stuff we just lived with, but didn’t interact with. We moved around it, pushed it aside, but didn’t even think about it.
- It’s so easy to part with a lot of the items. I really had no problem getting rid of a lot of the stuff that I did give away. Most of this first batch of items I had no emotional connection to (clothing that didn’t fit, old scrap booking supplies, kitchen items, hand-me-downs). For me it was quicker and easier to donate these items, rather then taking the time to try to sell them.
- Other items are a lot harder to get rid of. I have clothing in my closet I will probably never wear again (the dress I wore to my wedding shower) that are a lot harder to part with. I decided I may hang onto these items a little longer and see how I feel about them later (possibly whenever we move again).
- It’s a little bit harder with a partner. There is another persons thoughts, feelings, and memories to take into consideration. I can’t just toss his items because I don’t have a connection to them, this is where compromise comes in my friends! He is very willing to help though, which does make the processes easier.
- Clutter = stress. Sometimes I get overwhelmed when we have a lot of stuff laying around, and clearing some of that extra stuff helps, and makes it easier to relax at home.
- They call it ‘spring cleaning’ for a reason. It is easier to take stuff out of the house when the weather is warmer and dryer. Anyone else feel personally victimized by this last winter? I hardly wanted to leave the house, it was so miserable outside. Once the weather warmed out I was excited to get started with this project.
- It’s an ongoing process. I have a box in my living room that I am constantly adding to, when I come across something I don’t use or need anymore. Once the box is full, out it goes. Some things in my closet I’m hanging on to, to see if I will wear them this season or not.
- I think before I buy. I haven’t had any impulse buys since I started this. I haven’t shopped on Amazon just because I just got paid and I want to buy something. I consider if I need it and I have a space for it. I keep a list of things I “need” on my phone and try to find these things at an inexpensive cost (door mats, baskets, a bird feeder).
Happy de-cluttering season my friends – do you enjoy this time of the year? what is your process of getting rid of unwanted items?